A. Glossary of Terms used in the Process Model
- Imagined Space
- A conceptual space defined by the facts,
expectations and hopes about the imagined reality explored, as
perceived by an individual.
- Shared Imagined Space
- The intersection of the Imagined Spaces
of the participants of role-playing.
- Shared Space of Imagining
- All the facts, contracts,
expectations and intentions concerning the act of role-playing.
Includes the SIS.
- A final wanted or unwanted outcome of role-playing.
- A wanted outcome of role-playing. A distinct form of enjoyment.
- An unwanted outcome of role-playing. A distinct form of discomfort.
- A distinct operational part of play, that can be
associated with a distinct, measurable quality.
- Social Process
- A process operating in the sphere of general
- Role-Playing Process
- A process particular to the act of
role-playing, especially operating through the Shared Imagined Space.
- A singular technique, rule or contract that is used or
referred to in connection with the game. A constraint on or guide to
how the game is played.
- A parameter that affects the functioning of
the various Processes.
- Enjoyment of fun, being together and passing the time.
- Gaining new knowledge or understanding, affirming or
questioning old knowledge, spiritual growth and reflection.
- Enjoyment of an emotional experience, resonance with
established thought constructs
- Aesthetic Appreciation
- Artistic appreciation, enjoyment of
beauty and form.
- Social Benefits
- Positive changes in the social sphere
arising from role-playing, the strengthening of social bonds, getting
to know the other players better.
- Physical Benefits
- Positive changes in the physical sphere;
increased fitness, improved body language, physical pleasure.
- Frustration caused by lack of enjoyment.
Usually caused by a failure to gain any Benefits.
- False Knowledge
- Misinformation, incorrect or misleading
- Unwanted Emotional Experiences
- Unwanted negative
emotions, overly intensive experiences.
- Aesthetic Failure
- Failure of form, frustration caused
by unengaging aesthetic aspirations.
- Social Dysfunction
- Negative effects in the social
sphere, the worsening of relations.
- Physical Hindrances
- Negative effects in the physical sphere; catching a
cold, spraining an ankle, suffering a hangover.
- The pursuit of victory
- Maintenance and enjoyment of tension
- The besting of challenge and the overcoming of adversity
- Exploration of an Entity of the Shared Imagined Space
- Exploring the many-fold interactions a single entity has
- Exploration of a Concept through the Shared Imagined Space
- Exploring a concept through its expressions in the Shared
Imagined Space, and bringing forth such expressions to be explored.
- Equating the self with an entity of the
Shared Imagined Space, feeling and acting as that entity
- a form of experiencing the Shared Imagined Space. An
emotional response to or resonance with something in the SIS.